Why Google My Business Is Important For Therapists (Looking for Local Clients)
Are you a therapist or another practitioner eager to draw in local clients for your private practice? Discover one of the most potent tools at your disposal today: Google My Business (GMB).
Continue reading for an overview of GMB, complete with a step-by-step guide to kickstart your journey.
What Exactly Is Google My Business (GMB)?
Google My Business (GMB) is essentially a business listing seamlessly integrated into Google’s search engine. When a potential client initiates a search for a therapist, either by name or by using relevant keywords coupled with the “near me” phrase, GMB directs them to local businesses displayed prominently at the top of the search results page that align with their search criteria.
GMB harnesses the power of the global positioning system (GPS) on your mobile device or computer, enabling search engines to deliver the most relevant results for your query. Given that your Google My Business listing is intricately connected to Google Maps, users can effortlessly discover and locate nearby businesses, not just within the UK, US and Canada but also in various other locations worldwide.
Chances are, you’ve already utilised GMB on numerous occasions without even realising it. A typical scenario is when you’re exploring a new town and want to find local coffee shops or restaurants. Whether you prefer using Google’s search engine or opt for Google Maps, which held the distinction of being the most downloaded navigation app in 2022, both platforms deliver precisely the local results you seek.
In addition to crucial details like operating hours, contact numbers, and website links, GMB profiles also feature client ratings and reviews. This wealth of information holds immense value from a social listening perspective, providing real-time feedback that benefits both business owners and potential customers alike.
The Significance of GMB for Therapists
As a therapist, you’re well aware of the significance of that phone call. Potential clients frequently turn to search engines like Google, Bing, and others to find therapists in their vicinity. This holds particularly true when a client doesn’t have a friend or family member already in therapy to provide a referral for support.
Having a reliable source of leads is crucial.
GMB Equips Prospective Clients with Essential Information to Address Their Initial Queries:
- Proximity: Clients can determine how close you are to them, assisting in assessing convenience.
- Virtual Services: They can ascertain if you offer virtual therapy options, especially valuable in today’s digital landscape.
- Directions: GMB provides turn-by-turn directions, making it easier for clients to plan their visit via car or public transportation.
- Credibility: Clients can gauge the legitimacy and reputation of your business through GMB.
- Online Resources: They can access your website and additional information, enabling them to learn about your practice before reaching out.
- Practice Style and Expertise: GMB offers insights into your practice style and areas of specialisation.
- Personalised Assistance: Most importantly, clients can assess if you’re equipped to help them based on their unique needs and requirements.
Advantages of Utilising GMB to Attract a Larger Client Base
The benefits of harnessing the power of Google My Business (GMB) are numerous and impactful. Here are just a few:
- Enhanced Visibility: GMB ensures that potential clients not only discover your existence but also precisely where you’re located.
- Comprehensive Information: Searchers can access all vital details about your business conveniently in one place, simplifying their decision-making process.
- Increased Exposure: A larger audience viewing your listing translates to greater opportunities for sales, referrals, and potential partnerships.
- Credibility Showcase: Ratings and reviews on GMB serve as a testament to your professional excellence, enhancing your credibility in the eyes of potential clients.
- SEO Boost: Reviews contribute significantly to local SEO, increasing your online visibility and prominence in search engine results.
- Community Engagement: GMB provides a platform for engaging with the local community, fostering connections and building relationships.
- Cost-Efficiency: Perhaps the most appealing aspect of GMB is that it offers all these advantages absolutely free of charge, making it an invaluable tool for therapists and businesses alike.
Insights on Google My Business Reviews for Therapists
We understand that, as a therapist, it’s not customary to solicit reviews due to professional values and ethical considerations. However, it’s important to note that reviews are an integral part of the GMB service. They cannot be disabled, and once published, a negative review cannot be removed. This is crucial information to bear in mind.
That being said, you have the freedom to request reviews for non-therapy services like psycho-education, courses, trainings, lectures, webinars, coaching, and other education-based offerings you provide. You can also seek peer-reviews.
It’s worth emphasising that reviews hold significant sway in influencing potential clients, particularly when you’re marketing your services to individuals who are unfamiliar with you or have not been referred to your practice.
If concerns about GMB reviews are holding you back, rest assured that it shouldn’t. In the event of a negative review, we’re here to assist you with effective strategies for handling it. However, if you find yourself in this situation, it’s best not to delay. Taking prompt action demonstrates your attentiveness to your clients and your online reputation. Reach out today if you require support in managing a negative online review.
Read more here to find out how to set up your Google My Business profile.